After the festive excesses, the shops have now replaced tinsel and turkeys with racks of miserably portioned calorie counted ‘for you’ foods which make January seem a very long month, but hey at least the days are getting lighter.
Here are five reasons NOT to go on a diet, and five tips for your smoke alarm. Sceptical? Read on …
1. Diets don’t work. That is … if you cut down on calories and starve yourself then guess what, your body cleverly goes into crisis mode and conserves fat reserves which make it harder to lose weight and easier to put on weight. Smoke alarms do work … they save lives, as long as you remember to test them regularly.
2. Weight does not equate health. We are all different – hooray! Healthy people are all shapes and sizes. Rooms come in all different shapes and sizes too. Make sure you have enough smoke alarms for the spaces in your property.
3. Diets come and go but it’s lasting change that counts. Be consistent with any changes and make sure they are for rest of your life – but be realistic in your goal especially with exercise. So get physical and test that smoke alarm now!
4. Dieting takes up too much time and mental anguish. Why hesitate at the restaurant when you really crave that steak with sauce and a pudding? A treat now and again is good for you, just as long as it is not all the time. Don’t fret about whether your smoke alarm is working, test it every month on the same day and get some batteries in reserve … sorted.
5. Restriction usually leads to bingeing and you will put on weight when you binge. It is far better to eat a balanced diet spread over the day, every day. Smoke alarms in restricted places won’t be able to pick up a change in air quality from a distance, so don’t deprive you and yours by having badly placed smoke alarms.
Have a happy 2018! For all your fire safety needs, including smoke alarms, contact us at Bath & West Fire & Safety, your local experts for fire extinguishers, fire safety training, fire alarms and fire risk assessments