Eastern Eye Indian Restaurant in Bath ‘A Death Trap’

A Bath restaurant was such a serious fire risk to its customers and staff that its owner was told he could end up in jail.
The Crown Court judge in the case said that customers and staff would have found it almost impossible to escape in the event of a fire.
Investigating fire safety officers found a “compendium of multiple failings” at The Eastern Eye on Quiet Street in the Georgian Quarter of Bath.
In the catalogue of failings it was stated that the fire escape was blocked and unlit, fire alarms were not working, fire doors were faulty and no fire safety risk assessment had been carried out. Additionally no staff training records were available, and internal doors that did not fit properly were wedged open.
Fire safety officers carried out a full investigation of the Indian restaurant after concerns were raised by a member of the public and subsequent visit from the council.
Owner Abdul Hadi Choudhury was sentenced on Friday, September 1, having admitted to multiple and serious breaches of fire safety regulations.
Sentencing in Bristol Crown Court, judge Douglas Field described the breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 as a “compendium of multiple failings”.
Had a fire occurred in the kitchen of the restaurant, it would have been almost impossible for the customers and staff to have escaped to safety, the judge concluded.
He fined the restaurant £70,000 and handed Choudhury a suspended six-month jail term. Judge Field also ordered him to pay prosecution costs of £8,381.
Clearly an extremely worrying case for this popular Bath restaurant frequented by locals and tourists alike. Please contact us at Bath & West Fire & Safety for fire risk assessments, staff training, fire alarms, fire extinguishers and fire blankets. We supply, test and advise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *